Hearing Loss: What Happens to Sounds and Noises?

Woman trying to hear somethingHearing loss related to age can happen to anyone regardless of how old you are. As the process of losing the sense of hearing is gradual, you may not initially notice the problem. The people around you, such as friends, family members, and colleagues, are often the first to notice that there is something wrong.

In most cases, the people around you may notice that you’re turning the TV or music way too loud. They might also get the impression that you are not listening or that you don’t understand what they are saying. This can make the conversation a bit slower and more challenging than what it was before. You may also repeatedly ask what they’ve just said to respond properly.

Compensating Every Day

When you start to notice your hearing problems, you can compensate in a lot of ways like turning the volume the up or asking others to speak a little louder. Trying to compensate every single day, however, can be exhausting. Northumberland Hearing Center and other ear clinics in Northumberland noted that when hearing loss is left untreated, this can worsen and lead to a host of other repercussions.

Sounds and Hearing

With hearing loss, you may still hear some sounds and noises. Some may still remain loud, while others may seem weak or entirely disappear. You may also find some voices indistinct and distorted, which means that you can still hear, but don’t completely understand. Maintaining conversations in a noisy environment may also become difficult.

Working Out Words and Conversations

There will also be a challenge with hearing high-pitched and softer consonants like F, S, and T. Low-pitched vowels can mask these sounds, but there will still some guessing to do. The conversation or discussion may have likely moved on by the time you’ve guessed or worked out what the other person was trying to tell you.

Hearing loss is a serious problem and is not something that you can hope to get better. If you’re experiencing hearing problems, it is best to visit an audiologist for evaluation and treatment.